Here’s a quick rundown on the movie front with image releases from the new Bond film, the Snow White adaptation staring Thor, and Karl Urban as Mega City One’s greatest Street Judge. Also, the future of two popular franchises are looking good.
- First up, Columbia Pictures and MGM have released their first screenshot of the upcoming Bond film Skyfall. Daniel Craig returns to the 007 role for the first film to not have an Ian Fleming title, as they ran out after Quantum of Solstice. Dame Judi Dench returns as M, and the plot seems to revolve around her and Bond’s loyalty to the character. Javier Bardem has been signed as the movie’s villain.
- One of my favorite 80′s movies is being remade. Don’t know if I like that or not. Robocop, though, is one of those films that we all remember basking in its satire and violence. The sequels… meh. Well, the almost defunct MGM now has the rights after Orion went belly up in the 90′s. They’ve been pushing for a remake for quite some time to the point of teasing it at last year’s Comic Con in San Diego. With Brazilian director Jose Padilha already signed on, the studio announced the hiring of Gran Tarino writer Nick Schenk to round out the script for a production they hope to begin this summer for a 2013 release. This give me more confidence as Tarino was a well crafted film that concentrated just as much on the heart of the main character as it did the tension with the gangs. As for the take on the film, Padilha had this to say to Coming Soon last year:
“I have my take on it.And I can tell you this: In the first ‘RoboCop’ when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?”
- “I am the law.” Those were the words so horribly spoken by Sylvester Stallone in the PG-13 crapfest adaptation of Judge Dredd in the 90′s. Now, we’re getting a new Dredd film with Karl Urban as uber cop/judge character originally from the British magazine 2000 AD. I’m a big fan of Urban. Anyone who can play Dr. McCoy as well as DeForest Kelly gets an A+ in my book. Plus, this guy has nerd cred oozing out every pour. From Lord of the Rings to Star Trek, he’s never turned in a bad performance. Total Film magazine has a pic of Urban in the famous helmet of the street judges. A helmet that we’ve been promised won’t be taken off, just like in the comics.
- A 20th Century Fox higher up has confirmed that X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn is a go for a sequel. Michael Fassbender (Magneto) has been very vocal about character development he’d like to see in the future. We can all guess that it’s a given that he and Jame McAvoy (Xavier) signed multi-picture contracts when coming on board the first film. There’s no word yet on returning actors/characters or possible plot scenarios.
- Universal Pictures is one of the many studios cranking out a Snow White film this year. Snow White and the Huntsman stars Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth as the titular characters. In this take, the huntsman teaches White how to kick ass instead of killing her. The studio has released two images. Our featured image up top shows Hemsworth as the Huntsman with the dwarves. Below we see Charlize Theron as the wicked queen.